Tuesday, July 2, 2013

There is a HEALTHY BALANCE

After many years of trying different diets, loosing weight and picking it back up all again.....  I have been so disappointed and discouraged. All I knew was that I did not want my health to suffer in the process of me loosing weight. That I did not again want to be at a place where I give up, in, huff and puff and feel like I can swallow the trash can and eat the kitchen sink from frustration and hunger.

I wanted to have it all: Loose weight and enjoy eating great tasting food! I know this sounds like heaven, but it is possible to do and not neglect my health to look stunning and thin.

Low calorie eating really drew me in because it is a balanced healthy way of eating from all the food groups and being able to loose weight in the process too. I found that I could eat very little and the food that was freely available on my low carb list was not what I liked to eat. I gave it all for a few months and lost some weight but I was constantly hungry and so grumpy. Also I knew I love to eat and this way of eating could never be a long term lifestyle for me. I gave it up and was hoping to find something more appealing and possible.

I started reading more on Low Carb eating, High Protein High Fat, Ketogenic diets. To be honest I could see High Protein eating in my life but I was concerned for my health on the long run, maybe in short pockets in a day but not for long.  I wanted a healthy lifestyle I could live by. High fat added to the high protein seemed tempting too but even more concerning.

Eventually I decided that a Low Carb Diet where I cut out bread, sugar, cake, high sugar fruits etc. and go slow on the high carb vegetables was a balanced way of eating for me. I love my life and want to live to a long old age! Healthy eating is high on my list of musts. I have been Low Carb eating since Christmas last year. I enjoy it very much. I can't say  that I have arrived fully... but I'm loosing weight eating lots of vegetables, salads and protein and I have been learning how to live a Low Carb lifestyle.

Often people mistake a Low Carb diet for a high Protein Diet. They are so different, where in the one protein is the base of what they eat to where low carb vegetables is the base on the other one.

I printed the Low Carb eating pyramid out and posted it on my fridge as a reminder not just to grab protein when I'm hungry but to look for low carb salads and vegetables to go with my protein meals or snacks. When planning a meal or dishing my food onto a plate I mentally devide my plate into three where 1/3 is filled with protein and the other 2/3ds of the plate with vegetables and salad.

I do miss eating fruits freely on a daily basis. I keep part of my 20 net carbs a day to have a handful of frozen grapes, a few cherries or a small slice of water melon.


Being human I catch myself often and have to remind myself to stick to the Low Carb pyramid where protein is not the base but low carb vegetables are!






No comments:

Post a Comment