Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Biggest Struggles LOW CARBING and what I do ABOUT IT!


I wish I can say it is all just a big party, like ice cream and cake, going smooth as butter or even NO PROBLEM! No in every way it has been a challenge for me. As much as I want to loose weight, look thin and cute, wear the clothes I like. It was been an intense long fierce battle!

I love to eat and cook, experiment in the kitchen with new recipes etc. I'm a total social eater. Every event according to me needs some thing to eat either it is just a meeting.

HERE IS SOME OF MY STRUGGLES AND WHAT I DO TO SAIL AROUND IT:

STRUGGLE: I crave sugar and chocolate. I think for most of my life I ate some kind of chocolate daily..... probably some addiction :)

DO: I buy the cheapest 80 to 85 percent dark chocolate. I check the label and make sure I do not eat more than 5 net grams at a time. I try not to eat this every day as I know I will want more and more. I probably have two cubes 2 times a week.

STRUGGLE: My family are sugar and carb junkies. I find it very challenging to eat with them. I love them deeply and want to spoil them with good healthy meals. So I have to come up with these meals, cook it and watch them eat it. Even if I cook healthy there is carbs and having to sit at the same table as them and smelling the great food and having to eat my food it often discouraging.

DO: I try to come up with some food in the same range as what they eat creating it for me without the carbs. When they have toast and egg I will make the bun in a mug with egg. When we eat hamburgers I just eat the inside without the bun and have more salad on the side. I will make them lasagne and make a baby marrow and eggplant lasagne for me.

STRUGGLE: Going out for meals and my family and friends enjoy cake and ice cream and I have to smell it, and see them fully devouring it.

DO: When our family have ice cream like Magnum's (doesn't happen allot) I  then have a small bite from each. I have made a decision not to have one of my own. Telling myself this is it.

STRUGGLE:  Often hard to handle is when I land up somewhere at a party or a meal at someone's home.

DO: I try to stick as far as I can to low carb food. Sometimes I have to explain how and why I eat if they insist dishing for me. If I was asked to bring something to share I make sure it is something I can eat.

STRUGGLE: Going on a road trip with my family. They love to eat carbs!

DO: I pack boiled eggs (I know it sounds totally old lady :) and eat it with cucumber sticks or lettuce leafs. I always have a packet of nuts in my handbag. I stock up on almonds and cashews, and have a few at a time when I'm starving or know I'm going to be lead into temptation by something to eat.

STRUGGLE:  When all around are fully enjoying the birthday cake or cake at a coffee shop.

DO: I order coffee with cream like a cuppachino and sip it slowly.

STRUGGLE: When the scale has come to a halt!

DO: I drink more water. Go for a brisk walk and make sure I get some more exercise on a regular basis. Make the low carb chicken soup and eat it for lunch and supper for a few days. Make sure some carbs is not creeping in somewhere. I look back over the day before and try to figure out what could have caused a gain.

STRUGGLE: When I crave something to eat and its not lunch or supper yet!

DO: I make myself coffee with whip cream inside. If my sugar cravings is out of hand I had a little bit of stevia. I go sit somewhere but not in the kitchen and enjoy my coffee.  Have a small hand full of nuts and eat them one by one slowly.

STRUGGLE: I'm often tempted to just take one bite or one piece or just a bit of something high in carbs. Especially when I'm in the kitchen cooking or baking or dishing up for my family or I'm tired after a long day.

DO: I have made a decision not to taste. Not a bit. Not even a crumb laying on a plate. I know when I taste it is going to be like a shark and I would want more.

There is probably many more struggles with great answers. What are struggles you have and what do you do to solve it?







2 comments:

  1. The biggest breakthrough for me has been dealing with my sugar addiction. Once I have gone through the sugar detox, I have just not had any sweets or sugar in any form (other than in the fruit I eat). I think this has been my biggest struggle in the past, and has made the biggest difference for me this time. It is still hard to not eat in social settings - like birthday parties. One day at a time. Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fruit and I think doing low carb and not being able to eat lots of fruit has been a set back. Instead I snack on a carrot. I eat little pieces of fruit or just a few strawberries etc. I'm use to eating bowls of it. I was never much into sugar but I often crave chocolate. For me too my biggest set back was eating too much chocolate and that will keep my weight back and then I give up at the end trying. Good work Monique keep on going. Great to have someone here talking and processing with me. x x

    ReplyDelete