Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Surviving skills with my TOTALLY THIN family ON HOLIDAY


Was it easy? NEVER! I was on my own..... fighting of my mind, taste buds and nose that could talk me into many reasons why I could eat caramel ice cream with toffee sauce or barbeque corn chips etc. and ETC! Or even my family feeling sorry for me and "blessing" me with something to eat. My family love to snack and on holiday they have a license to do so. My wonderful husband is dead skinny and has the metabolism of a race horse and has a tremendous sweet tooth. I think you get the idea......

I had to come up with ways to find alternatives to enjoy eating on holiday but stay low carbing. This was actually my first summer holiday low carbing and I knew I had to stand strong.

-I packed a jar of ground almond and flax seed meal so I could make the bread in a mug when I felt like a sandwich. Which turned out to be great with cacao and cinnamon and a squirt of cream for a sweet treat.

-I packed tins of tuna for that extra protein kick when my family enjoyed pizza. I had the tuna then with lettuce leafs as wraps.

-I actually bought a jar of granulated artificial, no carb Stevia sugar. I could sweet up my coffee or a bit of whip cream on my bun in a mug.

-I made sure there were enough salad vegetables for me to use as dips in cream cheese or ranch dressing.

-My sweet husband surprised me with Coke zero to enjoy when we barbecued  or to enjoy in the afternoon when I felt like something sweet.

-I took along a 80% dark chocolate and I knew I could eat a cube or two a day.

-A friend gave me a few packets of chocolate protein shakes. They had 5 carbs in the whole packet and I made these up into frozen ice cream lollies to enjoy. What a treat it was in the heat of the afternoon when my family was eating bowls of ice cream.

-When we watched movies in the evening and my family would pull out a bag of chips I would cut up some salted sea weed and nibble on that or chew on a hand full of salted almonds or cashews.

-I always made sure I had a good solid breakfast to keep me going all morning on the beach.

-I would pack frozen bottles of water and enjoy a nice ice cold cup.

-I made sure that I had an abundant all ready washed and dried big lettuce leafs in the fridge. What ever my family ate protein wise I would fold into the leafs and enjoy.

-I made sure I didn't eat too much of the high carb vegetables like tomatoes and carrots or over ate on the proteins at the barbecues. I kept reminding myself that being on a family holiday does not mean I could eat all I want.

-I would make sure there were always side vegetables I could eat like eggplant, peppers, baby marrows and cucumbers.

-In the evening I would drag the kids and the dog down to the beach for a long brisk walk and me with my 1 kilogram hand weights.

-I kept my goals in sight. I wanted to weigh 75 kilograms after the ten day break at the sea. I knew that I had to loose 1kg a week!

-I recognized and kept an eye on the pathetic "poor me" attitude as soon as it would stick its head out ;) I chose not to fall for that lurring me along to eat a whee bit of something and then beat myself up afterwards.

-I would make myself great filter coffee and treat myself with a dash of real cream and cinnamon on top.

Like I said it was not always easy but I have a good sense of going on holiday now, having a great time and stay Low Carbing all the way. I did take a few licks of ice cream here and there and probably ate too much from time to time.

I'm looking forward tomorrow morning to get on the scale and see what the results will be. I'm hoping to have reached my 10kg down mark!




2 comments:

  1. Klink goed, Karin, sien uit om te hoor wat die resultaat was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was maar net 600g af maar dit is af!!!!!! Ek tel gewoonlik lekker op op vakansie so dit was vir my so n groot lekkerkry. Ek het gehoop vir meer maar is dankbaar vir die 9.5kg af so ver.

    ReplyDelete